Ducks' Ryan Kesler has hip surgery, unlikely to play next season

Ryan Kesler is one step closer to getting back on the ice, though it likely won’t be until 2020 at the earliest.

The Ducks on Monday announced the veteran center underwent successful right hip resurfacing surgery last Thursday, leaving the door open for him to resume his NHL career once he’s recovered.

“As we all know, Ryan has been fiercely battling his condition for quite some time,” executive vice president/general manager Bob Murray said in a statement. “I’ve been extremely impressed by his determination to play despite being significantly injured.

“At this point, Ryan needs to think about his life and family. The pain he felt was significant and we agree with his decision to have this surgery. While it’s unlikely he will play in 2019-20, we will support any decision he makes about his future playing career. He deserves the utmost respect, which he will receive from the entire Ducks organization as he contemplates his future.”

Kesler, who previously had a procedure in June 2017 to remove bone fragments, missed the final 14 games this season due to his hip problems.

“At this point in my career, this surgery was the best option for my quality of life,” Kesler said. “The pain I was suffering has been greatly reduced since the procedure, and I’m grateful for that. While my playing future is unknown, I’m in a good place.

“I want to thank all the doctors and trainers as part of ‘Team Kesler,’ my teammates, my agent Kurt Overhardt, the Ducks organization, the fans, and most importantly, my family, for their support. I’m extremely appreciative of everyone that has helped me through the process. I look forward to spending more time with my family and doing everyday activities without pain.”

Kesler, 34, tallied five goals and three assists in 60 games this season. He last played in his 1,001st NHL game on March 6.

He has three years remaining on his contract and carries a salary cap hit of $6.875 million.